Saturday, October 16, 2010

Spontaneous Montessori

This didn't happen in the preschool, but I couldn't help but share :) I love the way Montessori had the insight to design the materials that children crave to develop skills. They love to practice so much they find ways to practice on their own.
This is my 16 month old son. He found a zip tie on the floor of the garage, inserted it into a hole that was juuuussst the right size. I wish I caught a picture of the smile on his face when he put it through the first time! He did it over and over and over and over. To some adults this might seem like a waste of time, but THIS is the work of childhood. He is developing hand eye coordination and manual dexterity needed for handwriting and all other manual skills. His focus and concentration are improving AND he is gaining self esteem from the thrill of independent accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment